CAINE LiveCD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installed Caine with Caine From Deb. How should I set /etc/fstab?

2 posters

Go down

Installed Caine with Caine From Deb. How should I set /etc/fstab? Empty Installed Caine with Caine From Deb. How should I set /etc/fstab?

Post  felixdz Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:18 pm

I installed Caine with Caine From Deb.

How should I set the /etc/fstab so as not to write to external media when plugged in?

felixdz

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down

Installed Caine with Caine From Deb. How should I set /etc/fstab? Empty Re: Installed Caine with Caine From Deb. How should I set /etc/fstab?

Post  slo.sleuth Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:37 am

That's a complicated answer. The safest way for you to create a read only environment with CAINE is to install CAINE from the boot disk. CAINE uses a mounting scheme that involves several files (primarily /sbin/rebuildfstab) and a udev rule to accomplish read-only mounting.

CAINE from deb is a package to load tools found on the CAINE disc, not to make your existing Linux installation into a forensically sound environment.

If you want to avoid automounting in your existing Linux, assuming you are using the gnome desktop environment, you can launch gconf-editor and uncheck "media_automount" in apps --> nautilus --> preferences. That will stop the device from automounting, but clicking on the device in nautilus will still mount rw. Use the command line to mount read-only.

The best practice, if you are inexperienced, is to install CAINE from the boot disk. If you don't want to do that, then use the CAINE boot disk to create an image of the device you wish to examine, and then examine the image in your own system. Automounting won't matter in that case.
slo.sleuth
slo.sleuth

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-03-31

http://linuxsleuthing.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down