CAINE LiveCD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What tool to restore a raw image to a physical disk

2 posters

Go down

What tool to restore a raw image to a physical disk Empty What tool to restore a raw image to a physical disk

Post  ordipb Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:50 pm

Hello.

What tool of CAINE to use to restore a raw image, done with AIR (Automated Image and Restore), on a new physical disk.

It seems to me that AIR don't offer a restore function, isn't ?

It would be possible to use dc3dd, but I should prefer a graphical tool (X Windows tool).

Thank you in advance for your help.

ordipb

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-10-05

Back to top Go down

What tool to restore a raw image to a physical disk Empty Re: What tool to restore a raw image to a physical disk

Post  slo.sleuth Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:37 pm

ordipb wrote:
What tool of CAINE to use to restore a raw image, done with AIR (Automated Image and Restore), on a new physical disk.

It would be possible to use dc3dd, but I should prefer a graphical tool (X Windows tool).

I am unaware of a GUI tool to write an image to a device, but it can be accomplished quite easily on the command line:

Code:
# dd if=image.file of=/dev/device.node

... where device.node is the raw device you plan to write your image.  Keep in mind you need to consider the type of raw image you have in hand: if a raw device (with partition table, etc) the device.node would be something like '/dev/sda'.  If a partition, you want to write to a partition on the device, eg., '/dev/sda1'.

dc3dd is probably a better choice over dd (shown here for simplicity) as it is optimized and provides progress feedback.

I'll consider if there is a way to put a simple GUI on the operation. Caine includes yad which allows for the rapid creation of simple GUI tools.
slo.sleuth
slo.sleuth

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-03-31

http://linuxsleuthing.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

What tool to restore a raw image to a physical disk Empty What tool to restore a raw image to a physical disk

Post  ordipb Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:39 am

Thank you, slo.sleuth, for your answer.

ordipb

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-10-05

Back to top Go down

What tool to restore a raw image to a physical disk Empty Re: What tool to restore a raw image to a physical disk

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down